Advent Opportunities for Children
At Highlands, children are encouraged to assist in worship throughout the year, but especially during Advent. We hope that all Highlands children will participate in some way this year! Contact Mary Elizabeth Neal with any questions!
- Sacred Dance: Assists with lighting the Advent wreath during worship each Sunday in December and on Christmas Eve. Open to children in 1st grade or older.
- Christmas Pageant: A favorite Christmas tradition at Highlands! All children age 3 and up are invited to help tell the story of the birth of the Christ Child. Christmas Pageant is Sunday, December 24 at 10:30 a.m.
Sacred Dance Information:
Each Sunday in December and at 5:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service
- Must be in 1st grade or older
- Girls and boys encouraged to participate!
- Previous dance experience a plus, but not required!
- Dancers are strongly encouraged to attend the Sacred Dance Workshop on Saturday, December 2, 10-11 a.m. to meet with Jenny and learn the basic choreography.
- Rehearsal will be at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday morning in the Sanctuary.
- Dancers will need a white, long-sleeved leotard. Highlands has several in varying sizes that may be borrowed, if needed.
To sign up for Sacred Dance, contact Jenny Hughes.
Christmas Pageant Information:
Sunday, December 24 during 10:30 a.m. worship
- Open to children age 3 - 5th grade
- You do not have to be a member of Highlands UMC to participate!
- Mandatory dress rehearsal for ALL participants is Saturday, December 23 from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m.
- Children playing main roles (Gabriel, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Inn Keeper, Camel, or Magi), will need to attend two additional rehearsals on Wednesday, December 13 and Wednesday, December 20 from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m.
- Costumes will be provided for all roles. Children should wear loose, breathable clothes under costumes.
- Children playing angels will need a white, long-sleeved leotard and tights or white, long-sleeved shirt and white pants.
- All children participating in the pageant will need to learn Away In A Manger (first verse only) and Let There Be Peace On Earth. You are encouraged to practice with your child using the videos linked above! Note - In Let There Be Peace On Earth, we use slightly different lyrics: "With God our Creator, children all are we"
If you have any questions at all, please contact Mary Elizabeth Neal.
Children's Christmas Pageant Registration:
To register additional children, you may need to refresh the page.