Vacation Bible School Frequently Asked Questions:
1. When is VBS this year?
Vacation Bible School is July 9-13, 2018. The day starts at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. Pick up on Friday is at 1:00 p.m.
Drop off and pick up will happen in the church parking lot, located just off Richard Arrington Blvd.
2. What does a day at VBS look like?
Vacation Bible School at Highlands United Methodist Church is a day camp-style week of Bible stories, games, crafts, worship, music, and fun. We create our own curriculum each year based on Biblical stories or characters, Christian liturgy, and Methodist tradition. Each day includes: a field trip or on-site special activity; a rotation through stations focusing on the daily theme or Bible story through dramatic play, crafts, games, and music; lunch and rest time; physical activity/yoga; worship; and service projects.
3. Who can register for VBS?
VBS is open to children age 4 - 5th grade as of the 2018-2019 academic year. You do not have to be a member of Highlands United Methodist Church to participate. We have space for 40 campers. Registration will close once we reach our capacity.
4. How much does VBS cost?
Registration is $75 per child. There is a $200 registration fee cap per family.
An optional meal plan can be purchased for $25 per child.
5. Are scholarships available for VBS registration?
We want VBS at Highlands to be accessible for everyone! No one will be turned away for financial reasons. We have full and partial scholarships available. To request a scholarship for your child or on behalf of someone else, please contact Mary Elizabeth Neal.
6. What does my child need to bring to VBS?
- Signed permission forms (Packet will be sent to registered families a week before VBS)
- Lunch each day (or sign up for meals at registration)
- Cot mat or blanket/pillow for rest time
- Backpack with change of clothes
- Booster seat, if child requires one
- Water Day: Campers will need a modest swimsuit, flip flops or swim shoes, towel, bag for wet clothes, and clean clothes
All materials brought from home should be labeled with child's full name! Please do not send child to VBS with electronics, valuables, breakables, cash, or any item that cannot be replaced (such as a favorite stuffed animal or blanket).
Because we spend a great deal of time outdoors, it's a good idea to apply sunscreen each morning.
Have more questions? Please contact Mary Elizabeth Neal or call 205-933-8751, ext. 214.